You can now schedule your next appointment online. Click “Make An Appointment” at top menu bar to schedule your next appointment at any one of our facilities.
Pictured in the far right is his most recent award, given this year by the Greek Ophthalmological Society. In the midst of the COVID pandemic, the European Society of Retina Specialists Congress invited him to virtually deliver his keynote lecture on “Reconsidering Pachychoroid and What it Means” at EURETINA 2020. To the far left is his medal from the 103rd Doyne Medal Lecture at Oxford University in 2019, where he spoke about neovascular age-related macular degeneration. And in the center is his award from the Gass Lecture at the Snowmass Retina Meeting in February of 2019, an interactive ophthalmology conference where renowned faculty are invited to hold discussions and interact with the audience.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is responding to an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) Coronavirus and has spread internationally, including in the United States.
Vitreous Retina Macula Consultants of New York (VRMNY) is dedicated to doing our best to provide a safe and healthy environment for our patients and staff. While efforts to contain COVID-19 continue to evolve, VRMNY has taken proactive and voluntary steps to prevent the spread of the disease in our office and community.
HOW IS VRMNY RESPONDING TO THIS PANDEMIC?
During these unprecedented and trying times, all of the physicians and staff at Vitreous Retina Macula Consultants of New York (VRMNY) hope that you and your families have remained safe and healthy.
In that the medical practice of VRMNY provides essential care for vision threatening conditions, we have remained open throughout the pandemic; performing important time-sensitive treatments and managing eye-related emergencies. During this period we have been comprehensively implementing guidelines and procedures to maximize the health and safety of our patients and staff.
During a period when COVID-19 has often overwhelmed hospital-based healthcare facilities, our patients and staff have benefited from VRMNY’s three locations outside of large university hospitals and other multi-specialty medical institutions. While the retinal specialists at VRMNY are pioneers and leaders in the diagnosis and treatment of medical and surgical retinal disease, we are not hospital or university-based. As such, the potential for patients to be exposed to COVID-19 while in our offices is greatly reduced.
The VRMNY physicians and staff understand the safety concerns that our patients may now have regarding visiting a doctor’s office. Although our patients’ vision health has historically been our top priority, we recognize that our patient’s physical and emotional well-being are equally important.
To that end, VRMNY will continue our daily efforts to help patients feel comfortable, safe and secure in returning to our three offices.
All necessary precautions to protect patient safety and the safety of our dedicated team members are being taken. Some of these steps include:
- All of our doctors and staff will continue to wear masks at all times and all appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be utilized.
- Hand sanitizers and hand washing are universally used by all VRMNY doctors and team members.
- Thorough dis-infection procedures will be performed in every exam room after every patient.
- Appropriate social distancing measures will be adhered to within the office.
- All patients will be contacted within 24 hours of their appointment to be screened for COVID-19 and COVID-19-related symptoms over the phone. Patients with active or questionable symptoms will not be allowed into the office.
It is important that patients provide accurate contact numbers to our office when scheduling their appointments. If VRMNY is unable to confirm your appointment and perform COVID-19 screening over the phone, after two attempts, we may need to cancel your appointment to accommodate another patient to ensure patient flow.
- Upon arrival to any of our offices, patients will be screened in our lobby for COVID-19 symptoms and temperatures will be checked. Patients who have symptoms or fevers will not be allowed into the office and will be referred to their primary medical care doctors.
- All patients must wear a protective face covering upon arriving to our office.
- Only patients will be allowed into the office. An exception may be made for a patient requiring significant assistance.
- The strictest standards will be utilized and will evolve as appropriate and per New York State and CDC Guidelines.
We kindly ask that on the Day of your Appointment please adhere to the following:
- Please bring and wear a face (nose/mouth) covering.
- Please do not bring anyone with you into the office. (Drivers and family members should wait outside or in the car.) Exceptions will be made on a limited basis; please inform us of your needs in advance of your appointment via a phone call.
- To allow for appropriate social distancing in the waiting rooms, we request that you to arrive within 10 minutes of your appointment. If you are delayed for any reason, please kindly reschedule your visit. Exceptions will be made if we can safely accommodate you.
- Upon your arrival, and prior to entering our office, a trained VRMNY team member will check your temperature and ask you about COVID-19 related symptoms. We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
- Our appointment schedulers will inform you of the appointment time slots that are available to you for your physician. We appreciate your understanding that, for your health and safety, your preferred timing of appointment may not be available.
The physicians and staff at VRMNY are firmly committed to the health and safety of our patients and their loved ones. These goals are our top priority.
Please feel free to contact us with any concerns or questions with regards to your upcoming office visit. Our staff will be happy to assist you.
We are excited to announce we are moving our NYC office!
As of June 3rd, 2019, Vitreous Retina Macula Consultants of New York Manhattan Office, currently located at 460 Park Avenue, will be relocating to 950 Third Avenue, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10022. Our physicians, staff, main telephone, facsimile numbers and email remain unchanged.
Please contact our office directly for any questions or concerns: (212) 861-9797.
Dr. Richard Spaide was recently picked as one of the best doctors in New York by New York Magazine, one of the best physicians in the United States by “The Best Doctors in America”, and he received the Gass Award, a prestigious international accolade at the Macula Society meeting in Singapore in June 2017.
In July he won first prize in the Maculart meeting in Paris, which is a competition for medically themed artistic images and is awarded every two years. Dr. Spaide also won first prize in that competition in 2015. Dr. Spaide recently received a patent “Volume Analysis and Display of Information in Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography”.
In 2016 Dr. Spaide was awarded the Roger Johnson Memorial Award for Macular Degeneration Research from the University of Washington, which is given every two years to recognize outstanding contribution to the understanding of the pathogenesis and treatment of age-related macular degeneration by a clinician or basic science researcher working anywhere in the world. The Roger Johnson Award is one of the most prestigious awards in ophthalmology.
Join us for a night of education about diabetes and the eye! In conjunction with the American Diabetes Association-Greater New York, we are happy to announce a program featuring education lectures, free eye screenings, and refreshments.
Call (212) 861-9797 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.